Version 3.0.9: Incorrect Found Dates (Again!), Miscellaneous Other Fixes

November 14, 2010

This version fixes incorrect found-it dates when you log a find from your phone. Depending on the time of day that you logged the find, CacheStats was sometimes counting it as a find for the next day.

In addition to this fix, I fixed the icons displayed for event types (CITO, Mega, Lost and Found (10 year anniversary)), and Wherigo caches. Several of you pointed out to me that August actually has 31 days, so I removed the x in the calendar blocking out the date for Aug. 31. (Ooooops, forgot Thirty days hath September…). And finally, I added’s blog, Latitude 47, to the list of blogs that you can choose to display on your Geocaching News page. As always, the new version is available on the CacheStats website. When you install, your previous version will automatically be uninstalled. Read on if you’re curious to know why iPhone logs were sometimes incorrect.

When logging a find on the website, the time that you log the find is essentially ignored. The time in the GPX file is always either 07:00, 08:00, 19:00 or 20:00, depending on daylight saving time. (Side note, I’ve never been able to make rhyme or reason out of why it uses 7:00 sometimes and 19:00 other times – if anyone knows, let me know because I’m curious). But when logging with a mobile app, stores the time that the log was entered. That time is represented in the GPX file using the GMT time zone, and as far as I can tell, it represents the time you logged the find, as if you were logging from the Pacific time zone, e.g. if logging at 9:00PM Eastern, the date stored is 9:00PM Pacific, converted to GMT. That actually makes sense, because if it used your local time zone, statistics programs such as CacheStats would have no definitive way of knowing what time zone you logged it from since the time in the GPX file always uses GMT. Bottom line, since CacheStats has been around longer than the iPhone app, it wasn’t doing any time zone translation, but now it is. If you notice any incorrect dates for your logs, please let me know. I think I’ve got it right, but I’ve had to make educated guesses as to what Groundspeak is actually storing for logs via mobile apps.